We provide high quality advice and support to the Prime Minister, the Cabinet, Portfolio Ministers and Assistant Ministers to achieve a coordinated and innovative approach to the development and implementation of Government policies. We coordinate and develop policy across the Government in economic, domestic and international issues, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander affairs and public service stewardship.
We do this by:
- Providing well-founded advice to the Prime Minister, the Cabinet, Portfolio Ministers and Assistant Ministers on national and global challenges and matters at the forefront of Government.
- Coordinating policy across Government with a focus on practical changes to improve the lives of all Australians and effective implementation.
- Fostering a high performing public sector, working with the Australian Public Service Commission.
- Consulting across Government, the private sector, the not-for-profit sector and the community.
Our strategic priorities
We provide clear and persuasive advice to the Government on how it might best tackle the significant issues facing Australia. Our priorities include:
- Supporting the Prime Minister in his role as head of the Australian Government and the Cabinet and supporting our Portfolio Ministers.
- Providing advice on how to make Australia more prosperous, successful and improving its security on a global scale.
- Enhancing the ability of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to improve their lives.
- The Department is also working with the Australian Public Service Commission, and all Australian Government agencies, to build a more inclusive and diverse public service. To drive this important work, the Secretary of the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet chairs the Secretaries’ Equality and Diversity Council.
The Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet operates in three main groups:
- Domestic Policy Group
- National Security and International Policy Group
- Governance Group
- PM&C organisation chart, 9 December 2019 - XLSX 56 KB
- PM&C organisation chart, 9 December 2019 - PDF 47 KB
Our portfolio comprises a number of Commonwealth entities and companies under the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013 (PGPA Act), which are detailed below.
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Australian National Audit Office
- Australian Public Service Commission
- National Indigenous Australians Agency
- North Queensland Livestock Industry Recovery Agency
- Office of National Intelligence
- Office of the Official Secretary to the Governor-General
- Workplace Gender Equality Agency
- Anindilyakwa Land Council
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies
- Central Land Council
- Indigenous Business Australia
- Indigenous Land and Sea Corporation
- Northern Land Council
- Tiwi Land Council
- Torres Strait Regional Authority
- Wreck Bay Aboriginal Community Council
- Aboriginal Hostels Ltd
- National Australia Day Council
- Outback Stores Pty Ltd