This report, the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Performance Framework 2014 Report, was prepared by the following staff in the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet—Matthew James, Kirrily Harrison, Ruth Nicholls, Scott Copley, Kylie Sjoberg, Katrina Anderson and Timothy Saunders. We would like to thank the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) for their work on preparing the statistics for this report, with particular thanks to Fadwa Al-Yaman, Tracy Dixon, Charles Hudson, Le Anh Pham Waddell, Therese Bourke, Christian Jung, Bronwyn Wyatt, Brendan Scott, Qinghe Yin, Ruth Penm, Shampa Barua, Ronda Ramsay, Tetteh Dugbaza and Nancy Stace-Winkles.
The Department worked closely with the HPF 2014 Report Steering Committee, with membership as follows:
- Wendy Ah Chin (NT Health, Chair NATSIHSC) and Deborah Butler
- Rod Schreiber, Michaela Coleborne and Alison Killen (Commonwealth Department of Health)
- Marianna Serghi and Daniel Williamson (Qld Health)
- April Lawrie-Smith (SA Health)
- Fadwa Al-Yaman (AIHW).
We acknowledge the traditional owners of country throughout Australia, and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures, and to elders both past and present. We would like to thank Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people for their assistance in the collection of data, without which this report would not have been possible.
We would also like to thank all of those individuals, communities and organisations that provided valuable input to the report:
- National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Standing Committee (NATSIHSC)
- National Advisory Group on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Information and Data (NAGATSIHID)
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS), in particular the National Centre for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Statistics, the Health and Vitals Statistics Unit, the Demography Section, the Health Section and Consultancy and Training Services for preparation of customised tables, data checking and technical support
- Individuals with expertise in particular topics from various organisations who reviewed draft material
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who participated in workshops associated with the development and enhancement of the measure of community functioning, particularly Professor Shane Houston
- NSW Health for providing material used in the glossary of terms
- Proof etc. for providing editorial services
- Gilimbaa for providing graphic design and typesetting services
Your time and commitment is greatly appreciated.
The artwork used for the report has been derived from the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Plan artwork created by Gilimbaa.
The Creation spirit shaped and formed this country, the rivers, and the mountains from the desert to the coast, imparting the Law to each and every one. Navigating by land and sea, we are the Custodians of this place–it nurtures us, sustains us, provides for us and heals us. We are connected, we are one.
Our ancestors protect and guide us, teaching us the ways of the past, strengthening our knowledge of Culture and directing our pathways, working together towards a brighter future.