Best Practice Regulation
The Government’s regulatory policy requirements assist it in keeping the Australian economy as efficient, flexible and responsive as possible. Good policy making processes can ensure that public policy achieves a desired objective in a cost-effective manner.
A sound regulation-making process and culture requires ongoing improvements to the way regulation is considered, made and administered. In Australia, regulation is made at the federal level as well as by the states and territories, in the form of legislation and subordinate legislation and at a local government level as regulations and by-laws.
Consistent with the OECD 2012 Recommendation on Regulatory Policy and Governance, the Government remains committed to improving regulatory quality through best practice regulation. This includes the:
- timely use of evidence to inform decision making as required through the Australian Government’s regulatory impact analysis system,
- maintenance of an effective, fit-for-purpose stock of Commonwealth regulation evolving with economic needs and emerging risks,
- effective and responsive administration of regulation, and
- transparency and accountability in decisions and outcomes.
Guidance is available to help policymakers as they implement the Government’s regulatory reform priorities and to support them in developing Regulation Impact Statements, including for the Council of Australian Governments (COAG).
The role of the Office of Best Practice Regulation (OBPR)
The Office of Best Practice Regulation (OBPR) in the Regulatory Reform Division administers the Regulatory Impact Analysis requirements of the Australian Government and the Council of Australian Governments (COAG). It:
- Assists agencies in preparing regulation impact statements and fulfilling other regulatory review and reform obligations,
- Assesses Regulation Impact Statements and Post-Implementation Reviews and prepares regular compliance reports,
- Publishes Regulation Impact Statements and Post-implementation reviews on the Regulation Impact Statement Updates website, and
- Conducts regulatory impact analysis training.