Office of the Counter-Terrorism Coordinator
The Office of the Counter-Terrorism Coordinator (OCTC) provides strategic advice and support to the Commonwealth Counter-Terrorism (CT) Coordinator, the Minister Assisting the Prime Minister for Counter-Terrorism and the Prime Minister on all aspects of CT policy (including countering violent extremism).
The OCTC also provides secretariat support to the Commonwealth CT Coordinator for important CT fora, such as the Australia-New Zealand Counter-Terrorism Committee.
- Australia’s Counter-Terrorism Strategy: Strengthening our Resilience – outlines the Government’s approach to countering terrorism.
- Review of Australia’s Counter-Terrorism Machinery – reviewed Australia’s CT arrangements, to determine their effectiveness.
- Australian National Security – website detailing information regarding the national security environment in Australia.
- Living Safer Together – website detailing information on what communities and the Government are doing to build resilient communities that take action against violent extremism.
The Australian Counter-Terrorism Centre
The OCTC works closely with the Australian Counter-Terrorism Centre (ACTC). The ACTC provides operational, intelligence and strategic advice to the Commonwealth CT Coordinator. To achieve this, they bring together representatives of all relevant agencies.
The ACTC reports directly to the CT Coordinator and provides assurance to government that Australia’s operational efforts to counter terrorism are coordinated.
There are several priorities that the ACTC shares with the Office of the Counter-Terrorism Coordinator. These include:
- evaluating agencies’ performance against counter-terrorism priorities and their respective responsibilities
- identifying and responding to counter-terrorism coordination impediments.