We support the Prime Minister’s participation in international summits. We advise him about achieving Australia’s international goals and how Australia can best contribute to our region and the international community.
Key international summits include:
- Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) meeting, the main meeting for aiding economic growth, cooperation, trade and investment in the Asia-Pacific region.
- East Asia Summit, a regional leaders’ forum which brings together the US, China, India and the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) to address strategic issues facing East Asia.
- Pacific Islands Forum, which brings together the leaders of 16 Pacific nations to improve regional cooperation.
- Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting, a biennial meeting comprising the 53 countries of the Commonwealth covering global issues such as climate change, sustainable development, human rights and countering violent extremism.
- G20 Leaders’ Summit, the premier international forum for cooperation on global economic governance. The G20 meets annually at leader level.