The Prime Minister and Cabinet portfolio has a unique and privileged role at the forefront of public and government administration.
As at 30 June 2013 the portfolio comprised one department of state, one Commonwealth company and seven prescribed agencies.
Department of state
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- National Australia Day Council Limited
- Australian National Audit Office
- Australian Public Service Commission
- National Mental Health Commission
- Office of National Assessments
- Office of the Commonwealth Ombudsman
- Office of the Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security
- Office of the Official Secretary to the Governor-General
As at 30 June 2013 the portfolio had the following Ministers and Parliamentary Secretaries:
- The Hon Kevin Rudd MP, Prime Minister
- Senator the Hon Stephen Conroy, Minister Assisting the Prime Minister on Digital Productivity (this Ministerial position ceased on 1 July 2013)
- The Hon Dr Craig Emerson MP, Minister Assisting the Prime Minister on Asian Century Policy (this Ministerial position ceased on 1 July 2013)
- The Hon Mark Dreyfus QC MP, Minister for the Public Service and Integrity
- The Hon Mark Butler MP, Minister for Social Inclusion and Minister Assisting the Prime Minister on Mental Health Reform (these Ministerial positions ceased on 1 July 2013)
- The Hon Jason Clare MP, Cabinet Secretary (not held by Mr Clare from 1 July 2013)
- The Hon Warren Snowdon MP, Minister Assisting the Prime Minister on the Centenary of Anzac
- The Hon Dr Andrew Leigh MP, Parliamentary Secretary to the Prime Minister (not held by Dr Leigh from 1 July 2013).